Semifinalist & Finalist Information
Important timelines and key pieces of info for those who have advanced
in the 2019-2020 Point Foundation Scholarship application process.
Semifinalist Submission Deadlines
Point’s Scholarship Application closes at 11:59 p.m. PST.
Last day that semifinalist notifications are made. Please abstain from inquiring about your status before this time (approx. February 12).
All supplemental materials must have arrived at Point Foundation’s Los Angeles office (Please note that we have moved since last year. Mailing address will be provided in the semifinalist notification email).
Week of March 16:
Phone interviews for selected semifinalists.
Finalists are notified.
- -+Will I need to submit any supplemental information?
Semifinalists will receive notification if supplemental information is required.
All materials (including letters and transcripts) must be sent together (but not stapled together) in one large envelope, with your full name on the outside of the envelope and on each page of the documents you submit. Due to the volume of materials received, no confirmation notification will be provided.
Early submissions are most appreciated; late and/or incomplete submissions will not be accepted. It is each applicant’s responsibility to follow up with their references and educational institution to ensure that all the supplementary documents are received by Point on time.
Attn: Jonathan Rosales
6230 Wilshire Blvd, Box 890
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Semifinalists need only submit verification of test scores for the university or college for which they are hoping to receive financial support from Point, specifically if that school requires them for admission. For instance, if you are selected as a semifinalist and the law school to which you are applying to requires LSAT testing for acceptance, you must send to Point your LSAT scores but not prior test scores related to your undergraduate admission. Semifinalists are required to print and mail the online score report provided on collegeboard.com, or submit the appropriate testing organization verification with any other required supplemental material.
Semifinalists who wish to receive confirmation of Point’s receipt of supplementary application materials should use certified mail.
Semifinalists will be notified by the end of March if they have been selected to be a finalist.
- -+Will Point let me know if I need to be part of a phone interview?
All semifinalists who will have phone interviews will be contacted in March. Please note that Point does not provide feedback regarding submitted scholarship applications nor any part of the selections process.
Finalist Submission Deadlines
Point personally notifies each finalist by email with an invitation to attend an in-person interview with the organization’s Board of Directors and Selections Subcommittee. All finalists should save the date and be prepared to submit the final information indicated below to Point by April 1.
Submit final information to Point.
Mandatory finalist in-person interviews in Los Angeles.
All new scholar notifications completed.
- -+Is there an in-person interview?
Each finalist must interview with members of Point’s Board of Directors and Selections Subcommittee in person in Los Angeles. Interviews are coordinated by Point and will take place April 23-25. The cost of transportation, lodging, and meals are covered by Point for all finalists traveling within North & Central America. All potential finalists must be in North or Central American on April 23-25 and be available to fly to Los Angeles in order to remain eligible for the scholarship.
Prior to in-person interviews in Los Angeles, finalists must also attend a phone orientation (date and time TBA) with other undergraduate and graduate finalists to review the weekend program and interview format.
Attendance at the finalist weekend in Los Angeles in mandatory for all finalists who wish to remain candidates for the Point Scholarship.
- -+What are the finalists’ items of submission?
These items are as follows, which are to be submitted via email only:
- A Student Aid Report (Completed & accepted). This report is required and may be submitted electronically. It is a governmental document that is required by colleges and universities to determine eligibility for need-based financial assistance. Falsifying information on the FAFSA carries a criminal penalty. Please fill out the form thoroughly and accurately. The deadline to submit SAR reports, New Scholar Financial Application, other requested information, and a photograph is early April. Email submissions should be sent to Point by clicking here.
- Additionally, Point requires submission of Point’s New Scholar Financial Application and Parental Support Affidavit.
- Finalists must review and sign Point’s Contract of Excellence (COE) before final selections.
- Submit a professional looking photograph, preferred first name, and gender pronoun for a nametag.
- Submit a Point Finalist Travel Release form and reply promptly to all correspondence regarding travel arrangements for the weekend.
- School Updates: Please email Point if you have received any new acceptances or made a final decision on where you will be attending school in the fall. If you are still awaiting acceptance, or you have not yet made a final decision, please email your top two preferences.
- For dissertation finalists return Point’s Ph.D. academic questionnaire.
- Submit a response to an online survey for mentoring and media training interviews. Individuals selected to receive a Point Foundation Scholarship will be notified by June.